From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:54:53 -0500
> I think this is a hardware and software question.....
>
> I have given my son my old Compaq Contura 430CX laptop which is
> an Intel 486
> with 8 meg ram running Windows for Workgroups V3.11 / DOS 6.22.
>
> My question is this, as most software is on CD these days, and
> this machine
> does not have a CD drive, how can I connect a CD drive to this machine. I
> can't afford an external drive right now so I was hoping I can
> cable-link my
> works laptop to this machine and install software this way. My
> works laptop
> is a Compaq Presario 1920 PII running Windows 2000 Pro.
>
> I know how to link two computers running Windows 2000 or 98 but not if one
> is running Windows for Workgroups.

     Unfortunately this isn't as easy as it once was. I have been using
Interlink supplied with DOS 6.2 however I eventually found out that it did
not work with FAT32 drives, your running Win2K compounds that problem. You
do have a few options. Does the 486 have a network card? If so then you
solution is easy, network them together. If not, a commercial package might
be the way to go. LapLink should be able to do what you want, there are
others out there, a quick search at www.winfiles.com or similar sites should
produce something useful. TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org