From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:37:36 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Roberto Safora <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999 1:58 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] speed in winpopup

>In our office we have a LAN. Two hubs are joined through coax. 10 users are
>connected to a 16 ports hub and 3 users are connected to a 8 ports hub.
>I use win98 winpopup to exchage short messages. I have noticed that while
>sending a message to other user the PC is not able to do anything else.
>Is that OK?

I suspect that the programmer used some kind of synchronous transmission,
which waits until a handshake of some form is received from the other
computer.  Although Windows is supposed to be preemptive multitasking,
these i/o transfers seem to defeat the preemptive part.

>Why doesnt it take the same time sending the same message to different
>users?

Perhaps different computers, depending on what they are doing at the time,
send the above, presumed handshake in different amounts of time.

Dean Kukral