From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:04:15 -0500
Here is a link to the Compaq site for what you want to do...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&os=20&product=92288&rule=7963&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00006864

If the above link wraps, it will need to be all on one line.

I have also converted it to a Tiny URL for your convenience:
This link goes to the same page.
http://tinyurl.com/5kgss

I glanced at the instructions and they seem fairly complete,
except they only offer to ADD a hard drive...
I would REPLACE the hard drive totally with the new one...
(This means booting off the new one and all data is on the new one...)

Disclaimer:
If you do NOT want to REPLACE the old drive, lots of the following
will NOT be relevant...  (The following is written as if you WERE
going to disconnect the old drive...)

Let the WesternDigital software tell you if the BIOS will DIRECTLY
support a drive that large. If not, you will need to use their "overlay"
program to trick the BIOS (and computer OS) into seeing the entire drive.
It will tell you that, and offer to do it...

The installation software from WesternDigital will also have a utility to
"clone" (copy ALL contents) to the new drive.
(They may not use the word clone...)
I would do that and then disconnect the old drive since it "should" be on
its last legs by now and doing it this way will give you a VERY large amount
of new space on a NEW drive. You can leave the old drive in the computer
with the wires disconnected as a "fall back" in case there is a problem with the
new drive, or if the new drive suffers an "early failure"...  (Early failures are
somewhat rare, but it "does" happen...)

Note that right after the drive is cloned, the system should be shut down
and the drive wires need to be switched around and the drive jumpers will
"likely" need to be re-set to reflect the new drive as the MAIN drive...
(It depends on where they were hooked up and how they were jumpered)
If you "just reboot" at that point, you will still be running off the old drive...
Disconnecting the old drive at this point is a VERY good idea...
(Write down where everything was connected and the old jumper settings
on BOTH drives.)
The drive jumpers will "likely" need to be re-set to reflect the new drive as the
MAIN drive...

If you know anyone local that is experienced in this it would be a big help,
(and safer...)

Disclaimer: Correct hard drive jumper setting locations change all the time
with the various manufactures and need to be looked up for EACH drive
specifically, even if the jumper locations look "about" the same...

Please wait for other list replies, and keep all questions on the list...
This allows for others to learn (and follow the discussion) and may catch
any mistakes, better ideas, etc...

                              Rick Glazier