From:
Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 20:44:05 -0400
Greetings all;

I've had a few emails directly to me regarding this post from last month
requesting an update as to the situation with my son's computer. I'm happy
to report that it now runs quite well and I can directly attribute it to the
singular "compatibility" update from late July, after which the system ran
quite stable for several weeks. We've installed the newer updates that were
pushed a week or so ago, but they made no changes that we can determine. We
also installed directx 9 because of several games (most from Ubisoft) that
wouldn't run or install. So far this has worked well, but I don't know if
we've caused any problems that will show later on when a game needing
directx 10 is installed. His motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VM400AM, my
daughter's an Asus A7V400-MX and mine an Asus M2N-E.

I have an issue with large documents with my HP Photo smart D7160 that is
still present even with the latest driver. I had a 93 page text document
that I had to instead print in 15 page increments after several attempts to
print the entire document were unsuccessful. I don't know why this happens
and since I very seldom have large documents to print I haven't investigated
further.

In conclusion, with the latest updates Vista has been made a very stable
operating system, at least in our house. I would still suggest that it is
not an update one should undertake for Vista's sake alone, at least at this
time. Still, if you are need of a new operating system, such as I was with
two computers still running 98SE, it seems likely that you will have few if
any problems.

However, heed the many warnings regarding the need for a reasonably fast
computer. While Vista works well enough on my children's AMD 2600+ with 1.5
GB RAM computers, I wouldn't want to have any less processing power or RAM.
But then again I am somewhat of an impatient person. On a personal note, I
spent many hours working on my son's computer in the hope that I would be
able to rectify the difficulties he was having; all in vain. With one patch
MS fixed the problem. While I understand that it is extremely difficult to
ensure an operating system will run perfectly with every different piece of
computer hardware out there, I can't help but wonder if MS couldn't have
fixed this problem far quicker.

Bill