From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:57:12 -0600
Nicholas,

The subnet mask identifies to a computer or router which bits in the IP address to check to identify a network number.  The IP address is 32 bits long usually expressed in dotted decimal ( i.e. 255.255.255.0) with 8 bits per octet.  The first octet ( the octet on the far left) identifies the class of the IP address. There are 3 classes of address that are routed on the Internet:
    Class A  - The first bit of the first octet is always 0 (binary)
                    IP address range 1-126
                    default subnet mask - 255.0.0.0
        The address range 127.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255 is reserved for the Loop back address - used for testing

    Class B - First two bits of the first octet are always 10 (binary)
                   IP address range 128-191
                   Default subnet mask 255.255.0.0

    Class C - First 3 bits of the first octet are always 110 (binary)
                    IP address range 192-223
                    Default subnet mask 255.255.255.0

A computer or Router use the subnet mask to identify the network that the IP address belongs to.  This is done through a logical AND process where the bits of the IP address are compared with the bits of the subnet mask.  The binary system uses 1s and 0s to identify decimal numbers.  Since the subnet mask is binary it can only contain multiples of 2's (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128) relating to a bit in the 8 bit octet with the one relating to the right most bit of the octet.

Decimal
Representation   128   64   32   16   8     4    2    1

Bits in
Subnet mask        1       1     1     1    1    1    1     1

If every bit in the octet is a 1 then the decimal representation for the subnet mask is 255 (obtained from adding the decimal equivalent of each bit)  Every 1 in the octet of the subnet mask tells the computer that the bit must match ( and the bit is added to determine the subnet mask), 0s tell the computer to ignore that bit (the decimal equivalent of the bit is ignored and not added to identify a subnet mask or network number).   By comparing the bits in the subnet mask to the bits in the IP address the computer or router identifies the network that the IP address is located on.  By using 10.20.30.40 as your subnet mask, your computer was unable to identify a network number, as this is not a valid subnet mask.

Mary Wolden
A+, Net+, MCP+I, MCSE, CNA, CCNA, CCAI