From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:10:10 -0700
I have been reading your posts on getting voltage off the monitor to the grounding pin of the cord. The grounding pin being the round one not shaped like the two that are blade like in appearance. I am an electrician for homes not a monitor tech so I will address it this way.
1. If you are getting voltage to the grounding pin you most likely have a problem with the monitor that makes it unsafe. UL regulation allow for no voltage to be normally carried during normal operation on the grounding pin. The grounding pin is designed for overcurrent protection only. So that if a live (Hot) wire come in contact with a metal object with in an item it would short out or route the current to earth. If it didn't do that the metal item would become energized and the next person to touch it would know it.
2.  If you are getting voltage at all the grounding points in your outlets though out your house you most likely have a loose ground connection at the main or an improperly connected ground. I don't know how your house is wired so where things run in your house is a guess. I RECOMMEND A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN DO THE FOLLOWING ONLY.  Check the Electrical panel. You are looking for either bare cooper wires or green colored wires that run to a metal terminal strip on your panel. A larger wire should run from this bar to the meter and join with the neutral wire there. Note on houses built prior to 1970 grounding on a third pin is a joke if your house was built before than. One nice way to confirm you have a proper grounding network is if you have fuses in your panel and not breakers forget it.

3. Are you sure it is coming from your monitors highly possible. But I have had defective power strips be a common cause of this. REMEMBER ELECTRICIANS GOT TO EAT ALSO, and you put yourself at risk of doing the following. Remove the outlet from the wall remove the ground wire from the outlet with monitor in the outlet and on read between the ground wire and ground screw on the outlet read between the ground screw and the neutral screw if you get the same voltage reading you are getting a carryover to ground that is not good but it is your monitor. If you get no voltage or under 5 vac (sometimes the ground shows a small voltage like that is nothing unusual.  It would not be your monitor. From there your guess is as good as mine.

Trying to confirm the what's wrong here is like trying to guess what's wrong with the patient by telling the doctor "he's sick". If this is something that happens with only one monitor replace it. If it happens with different monitors it's the wiring in the house.