Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:34:20 -0600
Hello Mike,

Russ and Jean has provided excellent responses to you query. I would only
like to add my experience to that. Reliability, I think, is directly related
to your physical location and the provider for your area. I had DSL for
several years and the only equipment problem I experienced was solved by a
firmware update for the modem. I now use cable service and have had no
problems so far. You could check with other users in your area for any
problems they may have had.

I would suggest you avoid using the providers software if possible. That
shouldn't be a problem on your end using Windows XP. In most cases it's not
needed and many ISP's go so far as to modify the registry so your Internet
Explorer and Outlook Express title bar reads "Provided By xxxxxx". What a
way to advertise... that ranks close to the last thing I need.

As for speed, all else being equal, cable is faster. In my area, DSL tops
out at 1.5 Mbps and cable at 3 Mbps (advertised download speed). Both
providers offer a cheaper option with slower speeds. With DSL, distance is a
factor also. Most DSL providers won't provide service if you are more than
18,000 feet from the Central Office. That tells me that it affects speed and
reliability also. Personally... I would follow the advice Russ and Jean
offered and stay with Comcast (without the additional fee).

You also asked about checking the Internet connection speed. There are
several factors involved here also. The time of day, Internet traffic,
traffic at the test site, local conditions, etc., all have a bearing on the
results of any speed test. Expect less than advertised. Keeping this in
mind, here are several sites you can use:

CNET Bandwidth Meter Speed Test
http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

broadband » Speed tests
http://www.dslreports.com/stest