From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:07:34 -0300
First thing I would do is go to the Maxtor site, download and run their
MaxBlast utility and test the drive,  The SMART was probably turned off on
your other setup.  The SMART circuitry is supposed to predict faliure before
it happens so you can get your data off before you loose it.
Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology   Here is a random site I
pulled up on Google that can explain more:
http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/ .
In my experience, this technology is very reliable and I always turn it on
in any machine I work on.

Howard Rubin
Fortaleza, Brazil

Re::    Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:38:26 -0800
From:    Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: S.M.A.R.T. hard drive message

In migrating my files to my new P4 computer, I temporarily connected my
Maxtor 40G hard drive to the new board. During booting, I got a SMART
message saying that the drive was reporting an error and that I should
backup the data and replace the drive. I never got this message on my
old computer (P2-400), and the drive has apparently been functioning
just fine. Anyone have experience with the SMART reporting?

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml