From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:07:13 -0600
SSD's are not really "hard drives" but a form of memory such as compact flash.  As such, they can be accessed and written to much
faster than regular hard drives because of the decreased latency (seek time to find the spot on the rotating disk to read or write).
But, like compact flash, they have a limited number of times that they can be written to the same spot without failure.  (Hundred
thousand times or more - I don't know about the latest technology.)  Manufacturers have a way of moving the written areas around
(not too unlike a screen saver), so that one lonely spot does not fail earlier than the rest.  You are still limited to a much
smaller number of writes compared to a hard drive.  I am sorry, but I can't give you more engineering details - this is just a
touch-and-go on the topic, as my knowledge is limited.

So, for a  SSD to be useful, it should be used to store information that is not frequently overwritten.  I think that storing
operating system information would be ideal, because I would think that it would be relatively permanent.  However, there may be
small parts that are written over thousands of times a day - you would have to ask Microsoft.  :)   It might be better used to store
large volumes of things such as photographs, music, and video.  For example, an iPod might be a good place for using SSD to store
the recorded material.

I hope this helps a little to make you understand the problems associated with SSD.  BTW, regular dynamic memory such as that used
in ram does not suffer from these restrictions (at least the problems require orders of magnitude more accesses), so that RAM
failure is usually caused by something else.

Dean Kukral