From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:43:34 +1000
Russ wrote:
>Does the heatsink have a fan? If so, is it running and running at what
>appears to be full speed?>>

Yes. Appears OK.

I installed Speedfan, which first showed CPU temp getting up to 65 before
power cutting out.

After removing the ADSL modem and disabling its software, temp has been an
ideal 45-50 after running several hours and many reboots over several days.

So I think that must be where the problem lay. I've told her to get the
modem fully checked out by her ISP. Maybe they'll replace it, the power
surge must have damaged it, even though it will still connect to the
internet. An intermittent short perhaps.

Anyway, the problem seems to be solved for now---thanks to everyone's
helpful suggestions.

Don Penlington