From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:13:37 -0700
  The most common FireWire connector has six pins and is pointed at one end.
 There is also a four-pin miniature connector -- it is most often found on
small electronic devices such as cameras.  Cables which connect one to the
other are common, so it really doesn't matter whether the card includes a
miniature connector or not.
  There *are* two optional features which might matter to you.  The original
FireWire standard passes data at 400 Mbps (compare to USB 2.0 at 480 Mbps).
There is a "B" standard that works at 800 Mbps, and *some* cards provide a
"B" port in addition to two or three normal "A" ports.  This about doubles
the price, and I haven't actually run across a FireWire device that supports
it, but if you think you might than this could be worth it.
  The other factor is that some cards offer one of their ports on the card
facing into the PC case.  This is useful if you might get an internal
FireWire device, or can be connected out to a jack on the front panel.
(Some USB cards do likewise.)

  And of course there are combo cards that include both FireWire and USB in
one slot.  IF you're short of slots, that could be an option.

David Gillett