From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:56:47 -0400
Dean Kukral wrote:
> [...]

The price difference on a single-core vs a dual-core laptop is minimal
($100?).  In exchange for the slight cost increase, you get a laptop
that is going to "feel" responsive for a lot longer then a single-core
laptop would.  For instance, if my 4-year Tecra 9100 was a dual-core
laptop, I would not be as anxious to replace it because a CPU hogging
process would not interfere with the responsiveness of the system.  As
it is now, there are quite a few things that I can run on this system
which reduce key-entry to a mere 1 keystroke per second.  Things as
simple as MS Outlook or Thunderbird retrieving e-mail from the mail server.

I'd imagine that you've noticed this responsiveness in your dual-core
desktop as well.  I have a 2 year old dual-CPU Opteron system sitting
beside me and it takes an awful lot to make it feel slow.

The power requirements for the dual-core (Core Duo) are minimal when the
CPU is not being worked hard.  The Core Solo and Core Duo chips are
already more power-efficient then the old Pentium 4M (and possibly the
Pentium Ms as well) so it's basically a wash.  But I haven't really paid
any attention to the battery life on the new machines.

Back when dual-core CPUs were $200-$400 more expensive then single-core,
dual-core or dual-CPU was a bit of a luxury.  Now prices have dropped
enough that it's a good purchase choice for the average user.

I've been using a laptop as my primary system since early 2000.  The
first unit (Tecra 8000 w/ Windows 2000) only lasted about 2 years before
I upgraded again and handed it off to someone new.  For the really CPU
intensive stuff (video encoding) I use a desktop system (my
dual-Opteron) and I have a 3rd machine dedicated to gaming (although the
dual-Opteron may assume that role soon).

The Tecras (and other dual-core laptops such as the Lenovo or Apple) are
beefy enough with the advent of dual-core to function as desktop
replacements.  The only real downside is the graphics chip inside.
There's no upgrade possible there.  Laptops will continue to take market
share away from desktops as there's not as much downside to using
laptops as there used to be.

Dual-core and quad-core are definitely here to stay.  Intel's aggressive
pricing on their Core Duo and Core 2 Duo chips is causing a sizeable
shift in the number of multi-core systems shipping.  Even our low-end
systems at work are now being built with dual-core because of the good
prices.  We figure the extra few bucks will get us another 2-4 years of
life out of the machines.

(If you read some of the technical forums, you'll hear some folks still
crowing about using older dual-CPU AthlonMP or dual-CPU P3 systems
because they still feel fast enough to be useful.)

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml