From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:59:00 -0700
The installation of the new RAM and your smoking computer is likely not
just coincidental. Does your computer now operate without the new RAM?

Two likely considerations:
The new RAM could be defective and/or incompatible with the existing
RAM. Are the three sticks from the same manufacturer?
The new RAM could have been installed incorrectly. RAM can be forced
into the slot backwards. I've done it resulting in having to replace the
motherboard.
One unlikely consideration but worth thinking about due to the smoking:
The additional RAM could have been the straw on the Power Supply's back.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Vanessa Henderson wrote:
> I recently installed Windows Vista on a self-built computer that had
> been functioning perfectly for the last 3 years with Windows XP Home.
> It was running kind of sluggish after I installed Vista, so I added
> (1) stick of 256 MB PC2700 Ram. There were already (2) sticks in there
> giving it a total of 768 MB. Per the manual, this ECS KT600-A
> motherboard can support a max of 3 GB of PC 2700 Ram. But once I
> installed it, the deadly blue screen appeared and smoke started coming
> out of the case.  I quickly removed my Vista CD and unplugged it.  I
> looked around in there briefly, just long enough to take out the brand
> new stick of Ram I purchased.  But I couldn't tell where the smoke was
> coming from. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions?
>

> Kind regards,
> Vanessa H.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>