From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:10:54 -0500
Sue, You have NortonSystemWorks2003-Pro. (I am running that
and have NO Norton Firewall... Ghost makes it the "Pro" version...)

I just went through this "Norton Firewall thing" with a friend...
He had NSW2002(regular version) and a separate install of
Norton Personal Firewall2002.
It "integrated itself" into NSW2002 and the Norton NSW
control settings main page on his computer...

Last summer he bought NSW2004(regular version) and it
"grandfathered" the 2002 firewall program into itself and even included
itself into his Norton subscriptions. At least the date of the firewall
subscriptions was the same as the AV subscription. I just get a new
version and never dealt with buying the subscriptions thing...
(Hint: Get them in advance when they have good rebates.)

His old computer was broken up for parts.
I built him a new computer.
We put his same NSW2004 on it and noticed Norton Firewall was gone,
and was not available as a selection during a custom install of NSW2004.
(You can start a re-install and it will bring up a screen for a new install,
repair install, change selections install, etc. and see this for yourself without
any trouble...)

We "imaged" (Ghost or Acronis) the system (as a back-up, to be safe)
and installed Norton Firewall2002 LAST... It went right in, and asked to
be integrated into NSW2004. (We allowed this...)
Side note: Being a new install, it only took 4 minutes to save an image file
of the new system to a different HD partition. (I keep another partition to
image to, and then burn the image file to a DVD (or two...)

He now needs to write to Norton support with his old account number
and his new one, and have the activation (and subscription) switched to
the new computer...
(We expect NO problem with that since the old computer will never be
run again in its present form...)

                                                      Rick Glazier