From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:57:11 -0400
It depends on what you mean. You'd need a 64 bit operating system and
some 64 bit applications to take advantage of 64 bit computing, and
they're thin on the ground. The current buzz sems to be "Wait for
Longhorn", which will have more driver support.
I downloaded and installed the 64 bit Windows beta on my AMD 64, and.
while it was an interesting excercise, driver support was a problem and
apps were hard to find. I know there's a 64 Bit Linux distribution, but
I haven't looked at it.
On the other hand, most people don't use 32 bit operating systems to
their fullest potential.
I'm quite happy with this processor (Using XP home), which got good
benchmark scores and will allow me to switch to 64 bit Longhorn when it
arrives.
The Windows 64 bit forum is here:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/forumtree.asp?ID=15
Another forum is here:  http://www.64bitstuff.com/forums.html

Tucker wrote:

>I am building a pc using an AMD Anthlon 64 3000 and i am wanting to know if i can use Windows Xp (home) and still use this processor to its full potential. Thanks

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml