From:
Michael C Soto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:40:01 -0700
Well Dave,

There's about 5% of the hardware in that old 386 that may be used for
upgrading (into a useful machine, at least). That would be the floppy
drive (if it's a 1.44MB 3.5" drive, which it may not even be). All of it
is just about too old to be rebuilt into a machine that can run any
software on the market.

Dave, it sounds like it may be  best for you to just go out and buy some
low-end, current market parts and try to build your kids that machine (Or
maybe go high-end and make yourself a new one, and give the kids your
current one). If you're unsure of yourself, try to find a good friend who
knows in these things. Then, all your labor might be worth something.

- Hawk166_PWR (Michael Soto)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:10:06 -0500 Dave Schroeder
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I have a very old machine I would like to rebuild into something
> usable for
> my kids.  This would be the first time trying to rebuild one.  I've
> Gateway 386 25MHz with an 80meg hard drive.  What's everyone's
> opinion on
> rebuilding?  I would like to learn how to build a PC from scratch
> and
> figured I can't do any harm to this ancient machine.  If I have to,
> I'll buy
> all new parts, cases, memory, etc... just for the experience of it
> all.
>
> Dave Schroeder

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.