From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 07:27:34 -0700
Hi Phil,

Most PC's will run with RAM that is rated for a faster speed than the
recommended. Quite possibly when the system was built, the faster RAM was
easier to obtain due to market supply.

However, the speed at which the RAM is accessed is determined by the
processor and motherboard, not the RAM itself. Thus the system is not
running any faster with the faster RAM.

When adding memory, it is usually a good idea to match the RAM since they
share timing and data busses, and slight timing differences can lead to odd
behavior. So it would be best to matc the speed of what is already in there,
or replace the older one with all new memory that meets or exceeds the
specifications.

Russ Poffenberger