From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 23:47:27 -0700
I have a new Win98 install. This PC has two TEAC 3.5 inch floppies...A and B.
This is on a  ABIT BX6 revision 2 motherboard  with a 300a Celeron. I have
not overclocked this yet.....running at default 300a settings.

Every time I try to copy to the floppies using Win98 Explorer I get a FULL
Lock requiring me to use the reset switch to regain control  of the
computer. This problem came on gradually.....after my first install
everything was fine and then the A drive started giving me problems.....The
B drive was OK....and I could still access them from a 98 Dos
windows....Then the B drive started having the same problem and now even
though I have done a new install I can't even access them from a DOS
windows without a lock. Even reading them can cause problems.

I have run diagnostics from DOS on the floppy drives and they pass every
one of them.
I have installed a new floppy cable.
I can boot from the A drive. I don't have any problems using the floppies
in pure DOS.
At first I could use the floppies in a 98 DOS windows but now they lock up
there too.
 There is no Conflict in Device Manager.

 I unchecked search for floppy drive in performance setup I have removed
the floppy drives and floppy controller from device manager and then
rebooted....let Win98 re install......same problem.
I don't have any virus stuff installed or anything running in the background.

In fact I formatted the C drive and reinstalled....am now using only the
drivers that Win 98 installed by default.

Non of this occurs in Safe Mode. I suspect the board but can find nothing
at the ABIT web site or MS Knowledge Base about this.

 I am out of ideas....has anyone seen this before ?

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html