Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:47:07 EST
In a message dated 03/25/2004 12:04:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> On this first cold boot,  the droning will fluctuate...as if a motor is not
> warmed up and fluctuates in decibel level and frequency level.  Kinda
> sounds like it needs a push.  It's not a whining sound..and there is no
> banging or clanking.     I've searched the archives and can't find
> anything relating to the problem.
>
> Does this sound like the power supply or the hard drive?    I have
> everything backed up as of last night.
>
> Any ideas on where I should start to fix this problem?
>
> Sue Na

I had a similar problem that was traced to a fan that was beginning to fail.
I guess the bearings in it went south and after the grease in it warmed up the
sound "sorta" went away. If you can power up with the case open, try too see
which fan is misbehaving. If it isn't one of the fans it might be the bearings
in the HDD. In that case, buy a new one quickly. When a single HDD machine
fails, you will be left with a nice box to look at, but not much else. Transfer
all files, and scrap the old one. HDD's are relatively inexpensive now.

Chris Ryan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml