From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:18:18 -0400
I know with some older motherboards and Win XP, you could run into problems
with a SATA drive being detected, because the drivers for this type of
controller were not included.  You needed to have the SATA drivers available
on a floppy and install them using the "F6" option when it is offered.  I
don't know if you would see the stop error that you mentioned, however.
(And, I can't recall if later service packs may have fixed this issue.)
Newer MB  BIOS have options for getting the SATA controller to emulate an
IDE controller.  This might be an option if it is available.  (I'm not sure
if "emulating" is technically correct, but it seems to work something like
that.)

Check the Acer site to see if they have SATA drivers available for this
system.

If it is a hardware failure, a SATA controller card would probably be less
expensive to try than a new motherboard, though a new motherboard covers
more potential defects.  The trick might be finding a new MB compatible with
this system's CPU and memory.  You might be looking for a used one.

As a side-note, I probably would have written zeroes to the drive using the
manufacturer's utility or Boot N Nuke, in order to be sure there was no boot
sector virus present.

John Sproule