From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:15:05 -0400
> I have two computers on a peer-to-peer and I have a cable ISP.  I want
> both computers to be able to access the internet w/out having to move
> the cable modem around.  So, I'd like to use a proxy server.  I'm
> thinking about using Winproxy.  I bought Microsoft BackOffice some
> months ago, too but haven't had time to set it up yet.  Still in the
> cellophane.
>
> Question -1:
> If I set up a proxy server, do I have to use a dedicated box or can one
> of the client machines be the proxy server, too?

    No, you can use one of the machines as a proxy server. Since performance
isn't that much of a concern, I recommend you make the machine that is on
the most your proxy server. The only thing is that computer will probably
need two network cards, one for the cable modem and one for the internal
network, although some cable modems don't have this restriction.

> Question-2:
> How would the scenario differ if I used BackOffice (which includes NT4)?
>
> Both machines are running Windows 95 and one will (soon, I hope when I
> can find time) have at least one other OS on it - NT Workstation or
> Windows 98.

        No idea, I have a feeling that BackOffice would be overkill for what you
what to do, with just one other machine. I use winproxy, which is free if
you only have one proxy client at a time. On my setup, the server doesn't
access the proxy, but communicates directly with the net, leaving only the
other to communicate with the proxy server, therefore only at max one client
at a time. It works very well, except for ICQ which I have never gotten to
work on the other machine, no idea why though.

> Question-3:
> If I do need to use a dedicated machine for the proxy server - what kind
>
> of horse power does it need to have?  This is not a busy network.  Just
> two machines peer-to-peer running basic business and home office apps.
> Most work is stand alone.  Some file and resource (printer) sharing on
> the network but that's it.  Can I get away w/ a 486 box?

        Even with a cable modem traffic will not be huge. I don't know about
getting away with a 486, it is possible if you use an ISA network card that
you will fill the bus if you are downloading a huge file to the other
machine. You can try it, if you notice a performance hit and can't stand it
put the server on the faster machine. But again, the most conveinient setup
is put the sever on the machine that is on the most, that way you won't have
to yell into the other room "Turn on the machine!" :) Hope this helped. TTYL

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html