From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:57:20 -0700
This is a loaded question and involves a lot of stuff some of which may be software realted but I belive more of it is hardware related.
 I am moving equipment to a new machine:
old machine:
Fic 2013 MB
Amd 400mhz Proc.
256K ram(2 128 chips sdram pc100)
Cd-rom sony 4x
Cd-rom Ricoh mp7040a cd-r/rw 4/4/24
Hard drive #1 18 gig maxtor 7200rpm
Hard drive #2 13 gig maxtor 7200rpm
Video card #1 stealth 64(diamond gt)PCI
video card #2 Agp 2x rage pro turbo
Sound card   Creative labs Live MP3 PCI
Modem card   Cirrus logic 56k ISA
New Machine
Gigabyte GA-7ix
800 mhz athlon proc.
256k from old machine
Cd-rom affrey 50x
Cd-rom Ricoh from old machine
Hard drive #1 From old machine
Hard drive #2 From old machine
Video card #1 From old machine
Video Card #2 From old machine
Sound card    From old machine
Modem card    From old machine.

Here's what I am concerned about What kind of problems if any can I expect with this move. I realize most of what I am doing here is going to be issues with the software but it is issues with the software adjusting to the new hardware. I am running win98se with the swap file on the second hard drive. I am also concerned about the driver issues of the exsisting hardware that is being switched. I have the ata-66 cords in place and it is enabled. but the new MB is 200 mhz and the old one was 100 mhz. Warnings, bewares and scary thoughts welcome. If this needs to be posted on the PCSOFT list I aplogize in advance for the wrong post.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html