From:
Hulda Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:30:12 -0500
I have an IBM Athlon Aptiva Desktop Model 2174-590 about three years old. It has 550 GZ with a 20 Gb HD and 256 Ram with a CD/DVD Rom Drive  and a CD-Crw Drive

All of a sudden I seems my telephone gets so much static noise.

 I had my telephone line tested by Verizon and it tested fine. They told me there was no line noise at all.I had an electrician over and he took my phone home and tried it on his telephone line and it had a loud static buzzing sound.He checked the electric plug and told me nothing was wrong with the receptacle. So I sadly threw away my favorite phone and went and bought a brand new one. Now all of a sudden this one also seems to get a build up of static and it has only been connected to the computer for about two weeks now,and so I wonder if this static could possibly come from  the Computer. What would cause thi
s problem? Do I need a new modem or what could wrong with the Computer.

I unplugged the telephone and took it outside to the box on the house where there is customer access and plugged it in and I could hear the static noise and so I took another spare telephone that had not been connected to the Computer and plugged that one in to the outside box and it tested all clear with no noise at all. I also plugged in the spare telephone to the wall telephone outlet by the computer and this telephone was clear.

I bought also a new Belkin Surge protector and found out there was nothing wrong with my old one.

I cannot buy a telephone every two weeks.

This is a mystery to me since I have not changed anything at all here in this computer room. I have a ViewSonic 17" Monitor and an HP DeskJet 932C Printer and a Visioneer Scanner Model 8920 USB plugged into the Surge Protector and I have had most of them three years also except the Scanner is only one year old. The Scanner
 has an off/on switch and it is off all the time unless I will use it which is seldom.

Can anyone help me solve my problem?