From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:52:06 -0000
Hi,
You might find that you have to type 192.168.1.1 in your browser to access a
linksys router.
Default user name might well be blank
Default password might be admin or administrator.
Linksys generally supply a disk which makes setting up the router very easy,
but this may not always be the case.

HTH
Michele Sayer

Gene,
Hopefully, you have the manual that came with the router. In it, there
should be a login name and password. You should change the password to a
passwod that only you will know.

Normally, you can get into the router configuration page through your
Internet browser by typing in the router's IP address (and supplying the
login/password). Most home routers use 192.168.0.1, if your router is
different it should be indicated in your manual.

However, you could determine the  router's IP by clicking on Start|Run and
then typing CMD in the run box and clicking OK. This will bring up the
command line interface (CLI). At the prompt, type IPCONFIG /all (note: not
case sensitive). Looking at the report, note the IP address of the default
gateway - that should be your router and the IP address that you want to
type into your browser to get into the configuration screen.

Once you get in, look for something that indicates "settings," with your 3rd
computer running - you should see its MAC address (if not you may have to
type it in manually). Choose to add that MAC address. If you are running any
type of authentication, it may be necessary to type the authentication key
into the wireless network settings on the 3rd computer as well.

I use a NetGear router, they should be similar in this regard. If anyone
thinks that I have left something out, or Linksys has something that I'm
unaware of - please correct me.

HTH...John

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>