From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 14:16:29 -0400
At 11:11 PM 5/3/98 -0400, you wrote:

>The sound of dialing and connecting it's too high. It's a normal sound that
>we can find in every computer's  connection but at my computer the sound is
>configured too high and I don't know how to low it.
>
>                                                Andre Augusto

When I used to use Trumpet Winsock, I turned *off* the modem speaker by
inserting M0 (zero) in the init string. I no longer have a copy of the
program, but I know that you can change the init string by going through
the setup, which is accessible through the menus. That is where Trumpet
asks you your dial-up number, username, etc. (I believe the actual file is
called setup.cmd, and can be edited manually, too, if you can't find it in
your menus.) When it comes to the initialization string part, add M0 to the
end of it (it will work in other places, but this is as safe a place as any).

I used this with an older, generic 14.4 modem, however, I have successfully
used M0 for many other modems, modems that either didn't support the
speaker volume control in Win 95, or for which proper drivers were not
available. For anyone else's reference in Win95, this is done under control
panel/modems/properties tab/advanced/extra settings. This comes in handy
when your modem is configured as a "standard modem", because often this
doesn't seem to give you access to the volume control slide, meaning that
you're stuck with the racket whether you want it or not.

Here are the modem commands that will likely work for you, based on the
Hayes command set (Note, YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary)

M0 (zero) turns modem sounds off altogether
M1 (one) the speaker will stay on until the carrier is detected (i.e. your
internet provider)
M2 Speaker always on while off hook;stays on after carrier is detected.
M3 Speaker off as digits are dialed, then on until carrier is detected.

Here are the ones you most likely want:

L0 (zero)
OR...  L1 (one) low speaker volume
L2 medium speaker volume
L3 high speaker volume (I expect you don't want this one, I just put it
here for reference.)

The Trumpet support web page is at http://www.trumpet.com/support.html
If you don't have web access, their email address is

I expect this is more information than you actually needed, but I figured
it might come in handy anyway.

Susan Sutherland
Susan Sutherland Computer Consulting

P.S. May I suggest that any further discussion of this, move the the PCSOFT
list, because so far as I can tell, this is entirely a software related
query.