From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:50:26 -0700
Larry,

You'll want to switch your IDE connections at the same time, although you
already imply that with your master/slave settings.  Since devices running
at the same time on the same controller operate at the speed of the slower
device, you'll want to keep both hard drives on the same cable, e.g. primary
IDE w/ your new drive as the master and the old as the slave, then secondary
with the CD-R/W as master and the Zip as slave.  This should assign your new
drive as C: , your old as D: and keep the CD as E: and Zip as F:, meaning no
confusion for any software that expects to find your CD's or Zip backups on
the original drives.

Good luck,
Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

My current machine specs are a Gateway E-4200 purchased in September 1999, a
TABOR motherboard flashed with the latest BIOS update dated 11/30/99,
Pentium II 400, 196MB RAM, Windows Me, A: 3.5" Floppy, C: 13.6 GB Quantum,
D: Toshiba DVD, E: Sony CD-RW, F: Zip 100MB. The C: and F: drives are on the
primary channel with C: as master and F: as slave and the D: and E: are on
the secondary channel with D: as master and E: as slave.

I never use the DVD drive and plan to pull it out and replace it with a new
EIDE 60GB HD from Western Digital. I would like to clone the old C: drive
onto the new hard drive and use the new drive as my boot drive since it is a
7200RPM drive. I would then use the old hard drive as a backup and data
storage drive. ... As I understand it, I just set the new drive as the
master and the old as the slave. Pull the DVD drive, install the new drive,
copy over the files and when I reboot everything will be copacetic. Am I
missing anything here or is it as easy as it seems? Thanks for your help.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml