From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:42:52 -0400
This is obviously a high risk, last ditch type of temporary "repair".
Proceed at your own risk.

I'd try a full stick-on round CD-ROM label.
It might just flatten it and hold it together long enough to get one
last final read out of it. (Have some space ready on HD.)
***See disclaimer below.

If there is some sort of "vapour pressure" causing the bubble, you might have
make ONE tiny pin-hole to release that, and to try to work the layer flat.

Your data is actually in the bumps on the shiny side, just under the shiny foil.
(By design, the foil also "picks up" the shapes of those bumps when it is coated
on.) This description is ONLY for factory CDs.
Burned CDs (both types) are made different than this (and even each other).
For them, the bumps are IN the shiny foil layer, and this might actually work
better with them.
(This is a simple, general description -- Hair splitters not invited...)

If this was a program install CD, or had other types of files that must be
error free I'd try to replace the CD, if at all possible.

There is a little program called (I hope) CDCheck that will help determine
if there are errors on a CD.

***Disclaimer: I stopped using ANY type on stick-on labels several years ago.
"I" believe the expansion and contraction (of the paper ones I was using) might
eventually cause the "shiny layer" bond to fail, causing the CD to be useless.
Opps, that last statement is another opinion of the chance of success.
Never hurts trying...

                            Rick Glazier
                                                  .