From:
"Dr. Dean Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:10:55 -0500
Thanks for posting the web site of the answer to the question,
tho I did not see the actual question there.  And, thanks for
trying to answer.

Your reply does not shed any light on the question, however.  As
you say,  the monitor image certainly does change slightly as external
magnetic fields vary.  [The original question used the term "work
differently,"
which the reply ignored (reasonably so).]  My interpretation of the
answer is that there is some inherent difference in the way the
monitor responds to the magnetic field in the different hemispheres.
I still say that this is nonsense.  Assuming a uniform latitude-dependent
magnetic field, I do not see how a monitor facing East at the same
latitude (N or S) of the Equator will perform any differently.  The
external magnetic field will "appear" exactly the same to the monitor
in either position.  There should be no "tilt" in the picture that requires
adjustment.

Furthermore, the comment not to despair if you are planning to travel
also seems ridiculous.  Turning the monitor around on your desk should
have more effect than  a latitude change (within reason, of course - a
move to near a Pole might have a big effect).

I apologize if this is slightly off-topic and/or if I am beating a dead
horse.

Dean Kukral  [log in to unmask]