From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:14:08 -0400
David,

I have not seen this personally, but according to Michael Meyers A+
book, this is a sign of a bad floppy cable. I quote:

"The 34th wire on the floppy drive cable is called the drive change
signal. When a floppy drive is inserted or removed, this wire is active.
When Windows first reads a floppy drive, it keeps a copy of the
directory in RAM and will not update that information unless the floppy
drive detects a drive removal and activates the drive change signal.
This keeps the system from constantly rereading the very slow floppy
drive.... if the drive change signal disconnects because of a bent pin
or bad cable, you will keep seeing the same directory, even if you
change the diskette. This problem almost always traces back to a bad
floppy cable, so replace it and retry."

Elizabeth Boston