From:
Eric Outten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:11:31 -0800
Bill Nussbaumer wrote:
<snip>

> 1.  Labeled P1 goes directly to the MB - very large 20 PIN connector

This is the ATX connector

> 2.  Labeled P2 - smaller 6 slot connector - it appears that this is for >the AT MB and will go unused in my system.

There should be two of them. They are labeled P8 & P9 in the new AT
cases that I have ~and~ the antique AT case that holds my
all-new-but-the-power-supply, never-has-the-cover-on, subject-to-change
everyday system.  I don't know why they would be labeled differently in
yours, but the 6 conductors sound right.  If and when you ever use AT,
make sure the black ground wires on those two connectors are next to
each other.

> 3 &4.  Go to a standard 4 pin connector (the ones you power a hard drive
> with) and then pass through to finally terminate in another 4 pin connector.
>
> 5&6.  Go to the same 4 pin connectors but pass through to terminate in a
> very small 4 pin connector.
>
> I have three questions.
>
> 1.  Are the pass through connectors OK to use for powering multiple >devices on the same cable (actually the bundle of small cables)?  i.e.  >Can I attach 1 hard drive to a connector and then attach another hard >drive to the passed through connector on the same cable bundle?  The case fans also
> have a pass through configuration ... does this mean that I can power >all
> three case fans off of one connector extending from the power supply >just by connecting them to each other?

Yep.  Daisy chain.

> 2.  Are the small 4 pin connectors for the 3.5" floppy drive?  (There >are a total of two of these connectors in the case).

Floppy or other "micro" sized devices.

>3.  Any other advice on how to configure the power supply connections?

Yeah try http://nospin.com/pc/buildapc.html by the list's Bob Wright.

Eric R. Outten 773-978-3478 "typito ergo sum"
[log in to unmask] - Oh! Electronic Solutions, Inc.
8835 S. Clyde Avenue - Chicago, IL 60617-2904

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html