From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:09:22 -0800
On 27 Oct 99, at 19:07, Wanda Irby wrote:

> Yes, that is what we need to do.  All three need to share files and
> internet connections.

  If you have more than one Internet connection to be shared, things
just got a whole lot more complicated!  [However, I did recently run
across a proxy/gateway product called "MidPoint" which can
mange/share several ISP connections amongst machines on a network,
which *might* fit this need.]

  Sharing an internet connection means that one of the PCs will be
acting as the gateway (or, although this isn't the proper network
term, bridge) between your local network and the Internet.  You will
need to install some special software to provide this, such as
SyGate, WinGate, MidPoint -- or perhaps just the ICS (Internet
Connection Sharing) component from Win98SE.  Each of these tries not
just to do the basic job, but to make the whole setup easy for you --
unfortunately, this means any of them can get in the way of anyone
trying to troubleshoot difficulties....
  My best suggestion would be to try to find someone near you who has
set up one of these packages before; have them come in and set up the
same package they use for you.  You should already have the interface
cards and their drivers installed, and the hub and the cables
connecting the PCs to the hub.  But let whoever installs the gateway
also take care of the TCP/IP configuration -- at least two of these
packages will largely automate that (so long as it's done the way
they want...).

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org