Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:21:08 -0400
> Well, I have a problem...I am trying (long distance, I might add),...
 EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> module SHDOC401.DLL at 017f:50023c61...
> This occurs any time he tries to create a 'New'
> folder...anywhere> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marg Belliveau

  The SHDOC* DLL (SHell DOCument handling) includes code that does a
couple of things relating to file extension associations.  In this
particular case, it is going through the associations in the registry
to build the menu list of "object types I know how to make a new
instance of".
[clip] Did he recently uninstall some application, or move
it to a different path?

 I*think* the registry checker in Norton's SystemWorks package may be
able to find the corrupted entries, and help him to either repair or
delete them.  There are probably other, less expensive utilities
available that may also be able to correct or eliminate the problem.

David Gillett

Unfortunately, this began happening months ago, even he is not sure when, so
not able to track down if something was uninstalled at the time, but very
possible!
I thank you for the explanation of what this little file does, though.
I will find out if he has Norton System Works, I know he runs their Virus
Protection.  If not, will check around for similar app to check registry,
and file associations...
Thank you for your input, will advise if solution is found.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com