From:
E B Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 01:08:41 -0500
I respond to this not because I am a knowledgeable techie, but because I am
not. As such, I can assure you that it may be much simpler than you can
imagine.

A while back, I had purchased a router and wireless adapter in anticipation
of getting broadband. Well, I hadn't quite gotten around to getting it, but
thought "What the heck, let me see if there are any unsecured networks in my
neighborhood I can hook into." So, I broke open the box, installed the
software, and plugged the adapter into my USB port. Within seconds, I was
speeding along the information superhighway. I opened up my browser, typed
in a URL, and all of a sudden I was flying. And, FWIW, the adapter was
something like $15 after rebate, so this was a cheap thrill. Internal
adapters are also available if your laptop has space.

Obviously, the denser the neighborhood, the more likely there will be an
unsecured network. But it also increases the chance that nefarious types are
just waiting for you to hook into their network so they can hack your
computer. This is especially dangerous in places where people expect a
wireless signal, such as Starbucks, because they let their guards down. (And
the bad guys know that.) Now, I share this with you not to suggest you
should pirate somebody else's signal - - only to advise you just how easy it
is to do wireless. (I was pleasantly surprised how effortlessly it worked.)
If you have any friends with a wireless USB adapter, you might ask to borrow
it to see just how easy it is to use.

So, I would suggest that one of your biggest concerns should be computer
security. And I will leave the lessons on that to somebody else on the list
who actually knows what they are talking about. If you were at home with
your own broadband connection, you could set the router and adapter to not
recognize outside signals. But since you are going to be depending others,
you will need to take additional security precautions.

If you want more reliable and consistent access, perhaps you might want to
get a new cell phone? Or, if I am not mistaken, you might also be able to
get a wireless card that works without a phone, although I have no knowledge
about that. But, on the most part, I think you will be more limited by the
remoteness of your destinations (and service) than limitations of your
technology.

Of course, YMMB, but does that help?

William Closure

PS As an aside, there is a class action settlement on some Belkin wireless
products that will get you a FULL refund for the purchase price. For more
information, you can go to
http://www.belkin.com/class_notice/classnotice.asp

Most class action settlements are worthless. In this case, it is
unbelievable.