From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:15:25 -0700
At 05:22 PM 3/26/99 , Susan Hayes wrote:
>I clicked on my Resource Meter to check on my resources.  Along with System
>and User, there is also GDL.  What does GDL stand for and what percentage
>should that be?  Mine is running at around 88%.  I have closed down all the
>programs that I am not using and my resources are up to 62% now and pretty
>much maintaining that.  Just had no idea what GDL stood for.  Could someone
>let me know about that.
>
> I have sure had some differing opinions concerning the resources.  Some say
>don't worry about it and some say that it is much too low.  Sure do appreciate
>all the opinions and input.

I believe you mean GDI or Graphics Device Interface.

Since the advent of Windows95 and later versions, the operating system
is devided into three areas:  Kernal, GDI and User resources.   The GDI
basically supplies all the resouces for Windows to generate color, display,
windows, buttons, spooling print jobs, printing and so forth, (all the things
that give you the graphical display that seperates MS Dos from Win95/98).

You need lots of free GDI resources to run applications and make Windows
responsive.   Low levels of GDI resources will lead to "Out of memory"
errors.   The easiest way to solve these issues is to add more RAM memory.

Remember that Win95 cannot deal with more than 64mgs of ram well.
WindowsNT or WIndows98 does not have this limitation, recognizing and
using large amounts of RAM memory successfully.

               Bob Wright
      The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]