From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 07:06:36 -0800
At 09:47 AM 12/8/2004, you wrote:
>I have my Windows XP Pro on partition D with 600 MB left, partition C has
>7 Gigs of space left, can I move programs (not XP Pro) from partition D to
>Partition C without deleting them and rinstalling on C?

Hi Alan,

You likely cannot simply move installed programs from one drive (or path)
to another. Many will install keys in the registry that have the path to
some of its components embedded in them. These keys will point to the wrong
place once you move the files.

If you are adventurous, you could possibly track down all such keys and
modify them, but it is not always obvious which keys to change, and if you
make a mistake, you could render the program non-functional, or worse, the
whole OS unstable or unworkable.

You should be able to move your data files. Also check into where your
paging file is located. This can be quite large, and if it resides on D,
then move it to C. You do this by going to "My Computer -> Comtrol Panel ->
System -> Advanced -> Performance Options".

Otherwise, you probably need to uninstall and then re-install some of your
programs.

Russ Poffenberger

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml