From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:11:12 -0700
Hi Art,

Master is when the drive is the primary.  Slave is when it's a second drive
on the same IDE channel.  Cable Select is an outdated method that let's the
controller figure out which to put as primary and which to put as secondary.
  I have never used it before, nor have I ever run across a controller that
does.

Hope this helps.

Kyle