From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 14:15:27 -0400

<SNIP>
> Her old drive was still C:, and the new
> drive was D:, E:, F:, and G:.  No problem there.  But her autoexec file
> is set up to run windows immediately.  PROBLEM:  Windows won't run
> because it says there is not enough conventional memory.  When the DOS
> prompt appeared, I told her to issue a MEM command.  It reported 604 KB
> total, 503 KB in use, and 101 KB available.

You are definitely on the right track.

The heart of her problem is that something has eaten up all her conventional
(below 640) memory.  Have her boot to dos again and this time use a couple
of switches with the MEM command to see what is running and how much RAM it
is using.

The mem command is:   MEM /C /P

The /C lists all currently running drivers/programs.  The /P just pauses if
there is more than one screen of info to display.

You ALSO need to look at her CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files to find out
WHY the application/driver is using so much memory.

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**