From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:57:45 -0400
Gary- You could try running scandisk either from pure DOS mode or from
Safemode. Also, you can run msconfig and use "selective startup" to kill
everything that is listed on the Startup tab. Some startup items are called
from the registry and don't necessarily show up on the task list.

Hope this helps-

Rick

At 09:43 PM 7/26/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>A friend has a HP 650 MHz Pentium III running Windows 98. When we try to run
>ScanDisk, after it is left for a while, we get a message saying something is
>writing to the hard drive and ScanDisk has restarted 10 times. It does not
>complete. By using control-alt-del, I shut down everything running except
>explorer and systray. I still got the same results, saying something was
>writing to the harddrive. What could be writing to the hard drive? Any ideas
>would be appreciated.
>
>TIA
>
>Gary South

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: