From:
Robert Prickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 18:04:37 GMT
On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 05:35:32 -0500, you wrote:

>There was some talk about "memory drain" some time ago on the list.
Basically, windows 'use's memory to run an application, then in
theory, returns the memory back when the app is closed. Unfortunately,
one of the huge failures of win3.x, is the very poor return of memory.

Win95 cures a lot of it--much better--but it still drains.

To see this: run some kind of memory counter in the lower right
corner, and watch it drop as you open and close stuff.  I use Vbys,
and in windows3.x, it begins at 80% available memory, but as I use
things, it drops like a rock, and left alone, will reach 35-40%.
Window95 is far superior, but it still drains--no matter what MS says.

There is NO cure, that I know of...except occasional rebooting which
clears it.  Memory managers don't work,  At least, none I've tried.

My Windows 95 Crisis Center
http://home.earthlink.net/~robertpr
[don't forget the ~ tilde that earthlink uses]