From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:33:50 -0400
At 09:43 PM 07/26/2000 Gary South wrote:
>A friend has a Pentium III running Windows 98. When we
>try to run ScanDisk, we get a message saying something
>is writing to the hard drive and ScanDisk has restarted...

Gary:

As was pointed out, this often occurs if Windows or another program writes
to the hard disk while ScanDisk is scanning that disk.

If you've already tried the previous suggestions that you

  (1) close all open programs,
  (2) restart in Safe Mode and
  (3) restart to a Command Prompt

and you still get the message, then try re-naming your AUTOEXEC.BAT and
CONFIG.SYS files (so they aren't executed on startup) and restart in Safe
Mode. There may be something running in unattended and/or background "mode"
(e.g., virus checker, Norton) that doesn't show up in the Close Program
window.

Regards,

John Chin

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: