From:
David Farrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:44:22 -1000
Ted Saselli wrote:

> .....I have a new Compaq Presario, ....I connect at
> 50.6K.
> However, about every 10th. attempt at dialup, I get the most
> awful crackling noise you have ever heard and I cannot connect
> using either ISP.  When I pick up  the telephone receiver and
> listen, the line is clear.   And when I go to my other computer
> (HP Pavilion, ....) and I dialup to either ISP,  I connect at
> 50.6K with no problems and no crackling noise.  I have tried a
> USB external modem and have had no crackling problems ....

Has the Presario ever worked right all the time or is this something
new? I get the idea the Presario has not work right since you got it,
correct? I don't know if I can give you direction but I will share my
findings on trying to solve telephone line problems. Here where I live
(Hawaii) phone line corrosion is a big deal. I am not completely sure of
your computer's modem connections to the phone line but any plug ,
splitter, cable or wire connection is subject to the crackle sound you
are describing, including the relay or connecting device the modem
itself is using. I would begin by looking at all connection points (ie,
phone wall jack, connecting cables, line in jacks on the modem, the line
coming from the telco box to your room where the Presario is, splitters,
even other phones on the system (I don't think it is other phones on the
system) ) if the Presario system was working perfect before. If is has
never worked right from the beginning then I would suspect the modem too
but check the connections to the wall phone jack and make sure no
corrosion is present and all wire connections are good. Just to throw
this in too, phone companies can give bad connections at times. They
seem to be able to fine the problem after a while.  : )

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com