From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:45:25 -0400

>I see no particular reason why NT won't install to the D drive and handle
>the dual boot for you.
>Next time you run the NT install process write down the EXACT error message
>and go to MS Online Support Knowledge base.
>http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp You will have to register
>but once you do you can access the Knowledge Base and use the error message
>as a query.

I tried several keywords in my error message, but it didn't come up with
anything. I did find the info on big drive support and downloaded atapi.sys
as suggested by Gerard.

>NT is very particular about hardware and sometimes  will just refuse to
>accept a particular setup which is why Microsoft will only officially
>support NT4 on it's approved hardware list.....and a LOT of new stuff isn't
>on that list. That doesn't mean it won't work ......but it does exemplify
>how finicky NT4 can be.

My hardware is fine since I installed NT4 on it without any problems
before. The difference is I had a 8GB drive as my master and 14GB as my
slave that time. Since my 14GB is faster, I switched it to master. To
rephrase it, my old C: didn't need big drive support since it was the first
partition of the 8GB. Now, my C drive is the first partition of a 14GB drive.

> >Is formatting the option I have???
>
>I don't know why formatting would make a difference.
>You might try resizing them ....making them smaller  and put the free space
>in one of your FAT32 partitions with Partition Magic which will verify
>their integrity during the process.

I thought I chose support for big drive when I formatted it. Should I
choose not to support big drive? Or, maybe this would make it not recognize
more than 8GB? I will try to resize it tonight.

Thanks for your help,

Changhsu Liu

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>