From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:09:48 -0800
On 10 Dec 98 at 13:49, Frank Suszka wrote:

> I am having a problem with a computer that isn't recognizing the
> mouse. I keep getting the following message: Mouse driver not
> installed, Run-time error R6001-null pointer assignment.
>
> I have run the diagnostics that came with the mouse but it keeps
> telling me the Driver is not installed and it can't find the mouse.
>
> I would appreciate any assistance on this matter.
>
> The computer is running a Pent-S 100mhz chip and it has 16mgs of
> ram. I have looked in the cmos and didn't see anything out of the
> ordinary. I have switched mice, connections and adapters with no
> positive results.

  That run-time error is coming out of some application program that
insists on a mouse.
  A driver sits between a piece of hardware and a piece of software
-- often an operating system, but older versions of large
applications might require drivers as well.

  So there are three obvious possibilities:

1.  Your mouse is broken.  You can replace it with a cheap one for $3
or a good one for $30.  A different mouse might require a different
driver.

2.  Your mouse driver is corrupted or missing.  Maybe a virus ate it
-- maybe somebody was cleaning up unused files and got a little
carried away.  You can probably download a new driver from the mouse
manufacturer's web site.

3.  You aren't telling the software to load the driver for your
mouse.  If we had some idea what brand of mouse, what operating
system, and what application, we might be able to tell you how to
check for and fix this without getting ANY new hardware or software.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html