From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:04:22 -0500
From: Kyle Elmblade: Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Home Network

> I have run into this problem before as well.  What has fixed it for me was
> to go into the network settings, go into the properties for "File and
> Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks", and under "Browse Master" set one
> computer to "Enabled" and all other computers to "Disabled".
>
> It is my understanding that if you have an NT server, and it is running
> before any other systems try to log on to the network, it automatically
sets
> itself up as the Browse Master and will not allow any other machine to do
> so.  However, in a peer-to-peer network running either Windows 95 or
Windows
> 98, they try to wrestle each other for the honor, and you have trouble
with
> seeing the other systems.
>
> Others with experience can confirm/correct me on this, but this is what I
> understand is the issue.  Good luck.
>
> Kyle

I have a 3 computer peer to peer network running Windows98 and Windows 98SE
and have not had a problem with the computers wrestling each other for the
honor of Browse Master.  I am able to shutdown and restart any computer in
the network and still have all computers show up when they are online in the
network. All the computers are able to share files and printers, and run
programs from each of the different computers.  Under File and print
sharing, I was not able to find a setting for Browse Master , the only
settings I was able to access were for enabling with a check "I want to be
able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be able to allow
others to print to my printer(s)".  What OS are you running?

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org