Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:13:01 +1000
Easy, either take AMD solution (which is better, faster, and yet cheaper).
Or, choose Intel 815E chipset based mobo, disable the integrated video by
add in a top of the line AGP card.
High end workstation user may take perfessional video solution (very
expensive), and server like package. so that if you only ask for game play
ability, and want a powerful desktop PC, take the following in count:
1) mobo and CPU: for Intel CPU, use i815E based mobo; for AMD CPU (Tbird and
Duron), the only mobo is VIA KT133 based. Perfered ASUS or MSI mobo.
2) RAM: only use brand name high quality CAS2 PC133 SDRAM (perfered 7ns).
3) HDD: ATA-100 high speed drive (start from 7200rpm) with harddisk fan, or
if money is not an issue, get SCSI harddisk.
4) Graphics: nVidia Geforce2 GTS based (32M or 64M)
5) Sound: no common, but get a good speaker set
6) Case and Power supply: full tower case perfered, with high quality power
supply, perfered at lease 300w or 400w. *power supply must be AMD certified!
7) Modem: if you are looking for high speed internet connection, go for
cable modem or DSL, if you stick with 56k, get an external modem (eg USR,
3com, ...).
8) Monitor: I personal perfer ViewSonic monitor, the bigger, the better
9) after all, you may wait until the DDR chipset release (I'm waiting), and
keep an eye on nVidia GTS Ultra (you will be able to buy it soon).

Jun Qian