Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:23:35 +1000
alright, I don't want to start a fire here, but there are number of things
new comers will have to remember, otherwise it will take time and possible
hard lesson to learn.

Rule #1, never ever touch the installation cd that come with the card, they
usually out-of-date and buggy, for most nVidia based card, got to
www.nvidia.com download reference driver (official 12.41 MS certified) or
use known good beta reference driver (current 12.90 is the best). If the
card has video in, 3d glasses, then go to the manufacturer website (or ftp
site), download latest driver from there. if you don't care about video in
stuff, use reference driver. If manufacturer doesn't have driver support or
doesn't even have a website, then forget what ever the thing called
"manufacturer driver".

Rule #2, with VIA chipset, it is very important to have proper 4in1 driver
installed, the latest official driver is 4.32, some people like 4.31 better
than 4.32, but either should do just fine.

Rule #3, watch carefully what was installed from "that" installation CD,
some times, they force to install older version of DirectX and Media run
time files, that cause troubles. Also, some CDs even install older version
of AGP driver (for mobo), which I don't understand why on earth they do
that. again, there's one very important reason why you shouldn't touch the
CD come with the card.

Rule #4, make sure you have the latest DirectX installed (8.0a), it is also
safe to reinstall it after certain software installation (eg. I don't like
the way PowerDVD installation, you have no option at all, it will try to
install DX7 files, even you've already had DX8).

Jun Qian