From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 14:34:14 -0500
I have a fairly new CD-RW drive(Memorex 2216, 2 x 2 x16).  I have no
problems with it other than reading CD-RW media.  This includes the free
disk that came with the unit.  It worked when I first installed it a few
months ago, and I recorded a few files on it.  Haven't had occasion to use
it till lately for recording, but am having a problem getting it to read the
media, including the one that came with it.  It reads and writes CD-Rs fine
and professional CDs read fine.  When I insert the new media(same as came
with it, Memorex platinum 2x, 4x) it just flashes its green light(attempting
to read the media)indefinitely.  If I try to eject the CD, it stops flashing
green, flashes red, and then the green led stays on.  But I get a "Device
not ready error" message.  I have to reboot the computer to get it to
eject(during the boot up), or use a paper clip inserted into the small hole
in the front of the drive.   The original CD-RW that I recorded on will
read, but if I eject it and then immediately again try to read it, I get the
same result as above - continuously flashing green light, and won't read or
eject.   Again, this is only the case with CD-RW  media.  One other anomaly,
is that when I eject the originally written and readable-once CD-RW with
paperclip, and then insert a commercial CD it reads it OK, but still shows
the name of the CD as the previously ejected CD-RW!
Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Edna Sloan

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions