From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:07:20 -0700
  There are a number of requirements that must be met for them to see each
other, but these include (a) using the same workgroup name on both, and (b)
at least one needs to be running the "Computer Browser" service.  (This
latter is enabled by default, which is usually far more often than it's
needed, so some sites recommend turning it off.)
  Also, I think XP's firewall may block the signals that are needed to
provide this functionality.  You may have to adjust its settings a bit.

David Gillett

On 8 Oct 2003 at 21:35, Ralph Hunter wrote:

> I have installed a Netgear 311 card in one computer with Windows XP and in another with Windows 98SE.  I have a modem connection from the XP to the 98SE and I have a Belkin Crossover cable or patch cable #R7J304 hooked hp. I installed the network with the XP Disc.   My computer tells me the crossover cable is connected correctly. I can see only the name of one computer on each network. How do I get one computer to recognize the other?
>
> Ralph

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml