From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 11:51:29 -0600
At 10:56 AM 5/22/98 -0400, Herbert Graf wrote:

>> The two technologies can talk to each other but only at lower speeds.
>>
>> I think your friend might do better to spend an extra $30-50 and
>> get a KFLEX modem.  Any KFLEX modem can talk to any other KFLEX modem
>> at 56K.  BUT a USR-X2 will only talk to another USR-X2 at 56K.
>>
>> The real deciding factor is:  If your friend *only* calls his ISP, then
>> get whichever brand the ISP is using.  If your friend dials in to many
>> different systems, then get the KFLEX for more versatility.
>
>        I'm sorry but this advice should soon or already be obsolete. We have V90,
>anybody buying a 56K modem should get a V90, unless their ISP still hasn't
>got it, in which case I recommend changing ISPs. It is very unfortunate that
>ISPs are taking so long to switch, it holds the market back and cases even
>more market confusion than there already is. TTYL

***Just as an addendum to this thread, I posted this back on April 10th
    to PCBUILD:

April 10, 1998, Bob Wright wrote:

 The v.90 standard is being rushed to the stores now.  It should be
on the shelves by this weekend and flash upgrades for USR's  X2
56K modems has been promised in 30 days.  This standard is suppose
to allow the two competing 56K technologies ( X2 & Flex) be accessed
by one protocol, the v.90.

   Why the scurring rush to find a result for the 56K problems and to
sell this new v.90 technology as fast as possible???   It is now considered
the last modems that will be sold...  the end of modem technology...
currently the US's telephone companies are moving rapidly to take over
the ISP business with the NEW DSL (often referred to as ADSL) service.

The bottom line here is, you can currently buy several brands of modems
that offer the old X2 or Flex techonologies for less than $70.  The V.90
specification is only about $20 more...   I recently purchased two Jaton
x2 modems (not winmodems) for under $60...    of course the top end
modems such as US Robotics or Hayes are still a bit more.

ß0ß WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Owner   PCBUILD - PCSOFT - VPLANETS - PCBLDFAQ