From:
Steve Imler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:26:29 -0600
When you use an ISP such as Excite or anyone else by that means....your
computer gets a different IP address everytime you shut down the
computer & start it up again...so it sounds like computer 1 isn't
obtaining an IP...that is an ISP thing...and computer 2 is getting an IP
that the router says is the IP that computer 1 is supposed to
have...that i think is the confusion there....if i were you i would be
on the phone to Excite with this problem...they are having problems
there not only financial, but with their connections also i suspect...

Steve

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/14/01 16:48 PM >>>
I have an SMC Barricade 7004 router/switchbox with two computers
connected. When I shut down on Tuesday night both computers could get
e-mail and get on the Internet on AT&T's replacement for [log in to unmask] On
Wednesday morning at startup computer two could not get e-mail or get on
the Internet.  "Server could not be found". Computer 1 had no problems.
Both computers could see each other and trade files.  The network
printer worked fine. Computer 2 could not ping the router or open its
config screen. Computer 1 opened the config screen.  What I saw is that
only one computer is showing up as connected, and the IP address for
that one is computer 2 which cannot ping or get on the internet.
Computer 1, which is working fine is not shown.  I am mystified as to
what could have happened while both computers were asleep over night
that computer 2 has its IP address listed on the router but does not
work, and computer 1 does not have its IP address listed on the router,
but does work!
.  And why can both computers see each other and share files and
printers when one computer is not even shown as being connected?  I have
checked the settings on both, and nothing has beenchanged.  Computer 2
is Win 98 SE and Computer 1 is Win Me.  Again, on Tuesday night
everything worked when I shut the system down.
--

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/

                     support at our newest website: